Published on: 24 January 2018
Call for papers
Network Medicine in the era of Big Data in Science and Healthcare
We would like to invite you to contribute to the 2018 Applied Network Science special issue on "Network Medicine in the era of Big Data in Science and Healthcare".
Advances in the field of network medicine and in complex networks theory allow for a more holistic approach to human health through the study of networks of genes and proteins, modules across cells and tissues, electronic health records, epidemiological and clinical data. Novel concepts and approaches derived from recent progress in network theory, dynamical systems, and computational biology, combined with the large-scale datasets produced from subcellular to social levels are promised to provide new insights into the complex processes involved in human physiology and diseases. This Special Issue will focus on bringing together novel network approaches applied to various biological and health-related datasets and will address the current challenges and bottlenecks towards future major advances by describing findings that can drive the implementation of translational network medicine.
You are invited to submit regular manuscripts, and please let us know if you are interested in writing a review article.
The topics of interest for this special issue include but are not limited to:
- Biological networks and their applications in healthcare, aging and disease biology
- Systems pharmacology and drug repurposing
- Multi-omics / multilayer networks in medicine
- Precision network medicine for personalized diagnostics and therapy
- Network-based approaches for undiagnosed or rare diseases
- Mobility, social network and electronic health record analysis for human well-being
- Connected objects for health
- Epidemiological data analysis and network dynamics
- Network physiology and organ level network
- Expression of interest: January 31, 2018
We invite authors to submit a brief expression of interest and a short outline or extended abstract (approx. 1000 words). The proposal should include (1) the topic and how it contributes to the special issue, (2) key concepts, (3) methods (if the paper will be based on empirical research), and (4) expected conclusions and results. Please send it by e-mail to the Lead guest editor no later than January 31, 2018.
- Full paper submission: March 31, 2018
Target publication date: July 30, 2018
Papers will be published as soon as they are accepted.